The Bundy boys and their ilk holding a federal outpost in Oregon hostage, are right about one thing. When it comes to land and the U.S. government there is a long history of criminal injustice. The Bundy boys are using their guns to demand reparations to a couple ranchers and a free-up of federal land.
I’m using my blog to make some demands about land and reparations too. My demands are in bold, pistol-punching italics.
- For wars, massacres, poisoned blankets, forced marches on tear- filled trails, broken treaties, Homestead acting and Dawes allotting, I demnd Land Reparations to Native Americans. Start by returning the Oregon Malheur Wildlife refuge, currently occupied by those gun-toting thugs, to the Paiute people.
- For three hundred years of stealing African American labor I demand, Pay up on those forty acres and a mule!
- For those government land give aways to corporations, from railway tycoons to airport franchises, sport stadiums and malls; for bailing banks that foreclose on homeowners, I demand we Tax corporations and billionaires who have profited from these federal subsidies, to pay for demands 1 and 2.
- I demand the military/ industrial complex turn over the millions of acres of land and hundreds of bases, transforming that land for people, plants, and animals, not bombers! As for the estimated 1,000 U.S. military bases outside the U.S. borders occupied by the U.S. military, I demand we give bread, not bombs to the world. When it comes to land use anywhere, we must put food first.
- Remembering 80 years of Asian exclusion, internment camps, land restrictions. and seeing history being repeated, as stolen Cuban land is used to intern people without trials or convictions, I demand we end the historic cycle of demonizing races and religions to deny land and rights, and Give back Guantanamo!
- To reverse the long history of informal empire, gunboat diplomacy and unequal exchange in Latin America that robs our southern neighbors of their land, their labor, and their right to stay home, I demand: We end the current raid on Central American refugees in North Carolina, Georgia and Texas. Make deportation, not migration, the crime. Institute fair, not “free” trade. Provide legalization for 10 million undocumented immigrants.
Yes, those guys with guns in Oregon are right. We need to drastically rethink and redo how the United States distributes and controls the use of land within and outside of its borders.
Related post: Child refugees of U.S. foreign policy. http://turtleroad.org/2015/11/03/child-refugees-of-u-s-foreign-policy/